Acknowledgments

Special thanks to Rhonda who advised me to start reading this book.


Thanks to Melanie and Teresa for their understanding and help during the most painful moments. And, last but not least, thanks to Harvey and Chris for being there when I was building my confidence and personal set of rules.


I would like to thank Maria who makes these blogs possible by reading and making final edits to them.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Self-confidence.

Trading is a very lonely profession, at home alone. If I hadn’t joined a trading group then I’d end up talking to my charts all day. When I have one good day after another I like to share my excitement, and when I have a bad day, losses piling up, I get frustrated, but this is when you have to remember the keys for self-confidence. Having targets before even entering the trade, having stop loss placement at the same time I enter the trade, and most importantly, having rules that dictate why I’m looking for a trade and why I’m taking this trade.

"The key to regaining self-confidence in such a situation is to turn the focus from making (or losing) money to the actual process of trading."*

"You control how you trade; the market controls how and when you’ll get paid."*

Rules come first. They must be strong, logical and smart in accordance with successful trading practices. Only then can I focus on following those rules, and not on my daily/weekly P&L. Rules must make sense being there because only then will I be able to measure my success, and by following my rules I can tell I’m working on my success. My choice and action to follow those rules is the one thing that I can control every trade, every day. By controlling this and showing myself that I can always follow my rules, I have proof, evidence that I am a successful trader. This control of my success, this self-mastery, is what gives me more and more confidence as a trader, thus leading to more and more success.

Good Sound Rules Are Followed Every Trade = Confident Successful Trading Process = Eventual Profits

What helps me grow self-confidence is to work on my charts, notes and trades daily and weekly on a consistent basis. Repeating over and over the same plan and rules builds self-confidence. When I see that I have followed my rules every single day I want to continue the pattern the next day and next week because it makes me feel good about myself, like I’m a strong trader.

"Self-confidence is not expecting the best; it’s knowing, deep inside, that you can handle the worst."*

Trading without a stop is unthinkable. I need to know where my risk is. If a trade is not working, what will I take as my loss? I know I can manage only that loss. Many times we as traders tell each other "I've been there, done that," but thanks to this book I started to say to myself:

“I've been here; I can handle this.”*


"Confidence doesn't come from being right all the time; it comes from surviving the many occasions of being wrong."*

So why do I need a journal? To build my self-confidence I go and read my notes over and over again. Thanks to my notes and pics I can find what I did right and what I did wrong, so I can stop making mistakes and do great the next time. If I didn’t take pics or notes I would never remember what happened earlier in the day, let alone at the end of the week. What I was looking for or how I traded would be impossible to keep track of after a week. Knowing your own mistakes will stop them from happening again, and being aware of what I do well will allow me to make it happen over and over. I use my journal as an essential tool to keep focused on my rules and plan. All my positive notes help me stick to my path.

"Every trader needs a plan for losing. Your stop-loss is your plan for a losing trade."*

"Your losing trades and losing periods are your trials by fire that build resilience and confidence."*

*LESSON 9 The Daily Trading Coach 101 Lessons for Becoming Your Own Trading Psychologist by Steenbarger, Brett N.

No comments:

Post a Comment